United Nations Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force of the UN Charter in 1945. It is celebrated around the world, recognizing the importance of the global body dedicated to peace, prosperity, human rights and justice for all. In 1945 the United Nations was a unifying symbol of what was possible through shared vision and collaboration and it is needed now more than ever.
Since 2000, UNAGB has organized a UN Day celebration to elevate the UN’s accomplishments and indispensable work by engaging high-level policy-makers, members of the business community, and academic leaders around a critical global issue. The events of 2021 have challenged all of us to imagine the ways we need to work-together anew for a better future. In 2021, our UN Day Youth in Action Panel will take place on Friday, October 22nd, from 12:00m-1:00pm – virtually through Zoom.
This year we will be highlighting the theme of Youth in Action by focusing on the inspiring ways young people here in Boston are engaging with SDGs: learning, advocating, and taking action. These young people inspire us and we hope you are inspired as well.
Past speakers have included:
- Elizabeth Cousens, President and CEO of the United Nations Foundation (2020)
- Natalia Urtubey, Executive Director of the City of Boston’s Imagine Boston 2030 Plan (2020)
- Rachel Kyte, Dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All (2019)
- Timothy Edgar, former National Security and Intelligence Official and Senior Fellow at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University (2018)
- Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres (2016)
- Ambassador Matthew Rycroft, Permanent Representative of the UK to the UN (2015)
- Ambassador David Donoghue, Permanent Representative of Ireland to the United Nations (2014)
For questions and other inquiries, please contact Alex Bostian, Senior Manager, Development & Community Outreach at [email protected]